Saturday 30 January 2010

Hoorah - a running day!

While Col, went to discuss his new tattoo, I decided that I needed to do a long run of approx 14 miles in preparation for my kilomathon in March. Not liking to use any gizmos such as garmins which have GPS and therefore tell you how far you've run, average and fastest pace, and calories burnt, I decided to guess how far 14 miles would be, and armed with water and jelly babies I set off along the old disused top canal to the garden centre with the aim of the running over to shipley country park, which is actually in the other direction ;o). The fact that I came back still having over half my water and only having eaten 4 jelly babies did make me think I probably hadn't run nearly enough, but Col plotted it on "map my run" and I'd managed 13.6 (albeit slow) miles, so not too bad, and I have about 6 weeks to take it up to 16.
Col also managed a run today (hoorah) he did an off road very muddy 6 mile route through Shipley in the afternoon while I carried on with my textile course (I'm sewing an orange!).
Late afternoon it was still really sunny (albeit cold) so we took a walk down the allotment, to continue to dig and weed. The birds have already eaten the two lardy/seedy things that I'd made and taken down on Wednesday - no shortage of birds in our allotment despite the severity of the winter and the national concern that there will be a bird shortage.
The allotment is looking good; fairly tidy, we just need to do a bit (well a lot) more digging, have a bonfire (easier said than done, neither of us can light fires) and lay the last bit of hedge, then we're ready for the spring !

No comments:

Post a Comment