Tuesday 28 August 2012

Cosy on the inside, wet and wild on the outside

TreeHuggery has been out to the Moorgreen show this weekend, and the wet weather didn't seem to put off many people at all, everyone was out in their muddy boots, and when cars got stuck in the mud, they were just pulled out by tractors. We were in the art and craft fair so we were really sheltered from all of the wet weather, but the drawback was that I didn't get to see the racing pigs, the dancing diggers or the sausage catching competition, and I didn't get chance to weave a fish or have a go at water divining (although I'm sure Col, and our plasterer (who usually gives the divining demonstrations there) will be able to show me how to do that.  The upside of being at my stall, and not walking around the show, was, apart from being dry, meeting all of the lovely people that come by, and receiving all of the lovely comments.  Its quite insular working on your own, and its difficult to know how your work will be recieved by people who don't know you, and so its always really nice when people come over and talk.  This weekend has been particularly lovely for that; one lady came over to tell me that she's seen my bags before, and we found out, that (small world) she saves onion skins for me to dye with, she gives them to her Nordic Walking instructor, who is my running buddy, who then gives them to me.  Another lady, has taken the time to email me after the show, to tell me that she liked me work, which was lovely to recieve.
 In a world where so many people shop over the internet, and scan their own goods at check outs, we're in danger of missing out on interactions, and missing out on so much more, its a bit like my descripition of the Show "cosy on the inside, and wet and wild on the outside" we're in danger of creating places where we don't leave our houses and if we do, we just hurry on by in a souless experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment