Monday 2 April 2012

Nordic Walking for onions!

My natural dyeing has gone much better today, I now realise that the reason that the grass didn't dye satisfactorily was because it was a couple of days old, whereas most of natures finds need to have time to dry out before dyeing, grass needs to be very fresh or else the chlorophyll, which gives it the green, gets destroyed. 
I've also been dyeing again with onion skins, this time with a mordant (Allum) which allows the dye to penetrate the cloth more readily, onion shouldn't need mordanting, but it does make the colours much richer, and this time they came out a lovely rich rusty colour.  I'm also lucky in that quite a few people are starting to save me their onion skins, including people that I don't even know!
My friend and Nordic Walking Instructor knows how keen I am to forage for things to dye with, and so she has very kindly invited me to her Nordic Walking Class at Shipley Country Park., to do just this.  The people who attend the class sound lovely, one of them has already volunteered to start saving onion skins when she heard about what I do.  I'm really looking forward to starting the weekend with a good walk, a forage and a chat to some new friends.
Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment