Thursday 24 March 2011

The Three B's

Birds, Butterflys and Mr Blue sky

I've had Mr Blue sky by E.L.O. going around my head because of the cloudless bright blue sky I have been lucky enough to be working under these last two days down the allotment ,while there I've seen a fair few butterflies (admirals and cabbage whites) and birds too (mainly Robins, kestrels and pigeon's).
Wednesday and today have been glorious, and I have been making good headway in digging over the parts of the allotment that still have brambles in them, and clearing the nettles and weeds already showing their little heads (Do they never stop coming back?), the amount left to clear is so small compared with the area we have got ready to plant in.
As far as planting goes, the seeds in the greenhouse are coming along nicely; the broccoli, leeks and cauliflower are showing through. I have planted out some parsnips, beetroot, spinach, early peas and more broad beans.  The place is turning white because it's getting well covered in cloche just in case we get any more frosts (I  don't want to get caught out after these lovely warm days).

On a running note I've got a steady week only 44 miles to do, last week I clocked up 55. Just been looking at a route from Cromford along the canal to home,  it's about 17 miles and should be flat-ish.




My Dad recently loaned me some books on the local canals and it's amazing what a difference it makes to a run when you know more about them, you start to notice things you took for granted in a different light and also its amazing what you have been running past and not noticed or realised what was there.

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment