Monday 9 August 2010

snakey day

Well I wasn't quite the racing snake that I'd like to have been at Newark half marathon, (my runs home from work and other long runs in the week are just tiring me out too much to do anything but plod), but Col did find a grass snake on the allotment this afternoon - I'm not sure who was most suprised; col or the snake. Finding it then led to a conversation about whether a grass snake would eat our next door allotment neighbours' chickens - wiklepedia says that grass snakes "almost exclusively feed on amphibians" - but i'm not sure that "almost exclusively" rules out chickens to be honest. I'm also quite scared of snakes, and have a deep fear that they can flip open letter boxes with their tails and then crawl through and into houses.
We got into a bit of a tussle about what to do with all of the caterpillars in the allotment too - Col wants to kill them all, as quite obviously they're destroying all of the crops, but I was brought up on Eric Carles "the very hungry caterpillar", and cant bring myself to kill any - I did contemplate moving them to someone elses allotment, but I guess that won't bring much good kalma.

No comments:

Post a Comment