Sunday 22 May 2011

Hilly 100

Todays Hilly 100 race was more like Windy 100.  It's the first time I've taken part in this relay race, but Ilkeston Running club have put several teams in for this race over the years.  I had a really early start this morning to travel down to the Cotswolds for leg 3 of this race.  The race is aptly named, as well as being hilly it was really windy too; the wind was in my face or on my side, but never behind me; I'd hoped to race tactically and run down the hills quickly, but the winds made that pretty impossible.  I had a time of just over 62 minutes for my 10 mile leg, and handed over to Darren who had an even hillier 10 mile leg; he ran well and quickly and came in at just over 1 hour.  We were pleased that over our combine 20 miles to  reduce the gap between team Ilkeston and the lead runners from 15 minutes to just under 2 minutes.  The race is still underway at the current time of 3pm, and so leg 6 should probably be just finishing.  Its a long day, especially for Captain Rob Sharratt who has been up since 3 am, ran the first lap, and then between him and Mrs S doing a mixture of cycling alongside us and handing out water (well when he can keep up anyway, his cycling up hills leaves a lot to be desired; at one point he'd thought I'd got lost, the truth is that I was on course and quite a few miles ahead of him and desperate for a drink of water that he was supposed to be providing.)
Colin 

No comments:

Post a Comment